Sunday, December 16, 2007

Interview with JD Chakravarthy

This was my first interview ... i can say it is the first interview of telugu actor on web...

Telugucinema.com proudly presents....... an exclusive INTERVIEW with Actor, Director, Producer CHAKRAVARTHY.

It was 8.30PM. I was busy with my friends as one of them came from India and the house is full of them, but I am waiting for the call from Vijay shekar who set up the meeting with charkravarti (JD). He called me and informed me the time, and we both agreed it for 9.00 PM. Sharp at 9.00 he called me and here are the experts of the phone interview. I was little nervous, as this was my first interview. But chakri made me feel comfortable giving me the full co-operation. It is really nice talking to him. natana kAdu varam, adi kRushi sadanala swayamvaram

Sri: Can you please tell me about your background, like what made you to come into the movies, what co-operation you got. What inspired you to come into the field etc.?
Chakri
: That was a long story to make it short. I want to become an actor and so I became an actor.


Sri: Can you explain
Chakri:
when I was in seventh class all my classmates were writing in a book what they want to become in future. Some wrote doctor, some wrote engineer and I am the only one who wrote charkravarti - actor. My sister saw that book and she showed it to my mother. I was afraid what they would say and my mother said in a very cool voice "Ok, you want to be an actor, good." She encouraged me a lot by buying me good comic books and told me to see the facial expressions of the characters and made me read them and know them completely by character. She is a great classical singer. Unfortunately I know nothing about singing. She is like a god to me. She never shouted at me. Other person in my life who influenced me is my sister. She is only one year elder to me. But she is the one who is always on my side. She thinks I am her first child. (Now I have a small nephew). She always used to encourage me. I thought of discontinuing tenth class and wanted to go to madras and try in movies, because I thought it would be four to five years minimum to get a decent break and if I start now I can save some time. But she made a convincing argument saying after you became a hero ,every body would say " hey , you know chakri did not even complete tenth class! So u should atleast complete tenth class." That trick she used again for my inter too. When I went for the screen test for Siva, I failed and came back home nearly crying, I told my sister that I am not fit for an actor and I failed miserably. She told me not to worryand if I was not selected that is a loss to the film industry but not to me. She was sure that I will get selected and I will be a good actor and get a lot of recognition. What ever I am today is because of her and I am really greatful to god for giving me such a wonderful sister and mother. Yesterday one of my friend was saying chakri do you know why I am not a film actor, because I don't have a sister like you have ,who encourages you in everything . I can't acknowledge enough of her. I could not say it in words.


Sri: How did you get the break if you failed in the screen test
Chakri:
actually I went there to meet a friend and ramu garu thought that I came for the screen test. I was not prepared, but gave a try and failed. But ramugaru thought my communication was good and he felt I have a spark in my eyes and I was selected.


Sri: I didn't liked you in your first movie
Chakri
: What (I think he was little surprised)

Sri: yeah! I thought who is this lanky guy, what does he have other than a good voice, and he is a bad guy.
Chakri:
(laughs) I think this is good complement. Actually after shooting the movie ,at the time of re-recording illayarajagaru came out of the recording room and asked ramugaru, "who is this JD? I hate that guy." Ramugaru said that is good and it is a need for that character. That is the first and the best compliment I received. Then maheshji and paresh rawal also said the same thing when they watched the hindi version. Did u watch kabza?

Sri: yeah! It was by Mahesh Bhatt. Good movie. But it was a flopp.
Chakri:
Paresh and Maheshji said that is because the heroine falls in love with the bad guy and that is the reason film was a flopp. People hated the bad guy and that is the success of the character. If you hate me in siva as an actor I am success.

Sri: How did you think you would get a break?
Chakri:
(laughs) did you know what dreams I used to dream? I used to think Bharatiraja comes to me and asks me for a role , as he encourages a lot of new talent.

Sri: (laughs) you are not a heroine.
Chakri
:(laughs) what I used to do is, used to walk in front of his house when he comes out of the house or goes in to the house, and I thought he will come and say "hey where were you man all these days. You are the person I am looking for. In front of you every one else is nothing." Which never come true (laughs)

Sri: (laugh)you mean to say like revati and radha?
Chakri
:(laughs) similar to that

Sri: Did you get trained in acting before you came into movies?
Chakri:
no. I saw lot of movies and read lot of comics and observed how they act and learned. natana kAdu varam, adi kRushi sadanala swayamvaram

Sri: What is your relationship with varma(ramu)garu?
Chakri
: Ramugaru is has lot of confidence in me. I assisted him in movies like satya and I helped him in editing also. He is really a great person. I could not say what a good rapport we share. I can talk about that for the whole interview.

Sri: are you like family members
Chakri:
yes you can say that

Sri: How you feel about working with other directors other than ramu garu?
Chakri:
they have their own specialty. I love working with all directors. They are all good. As an actor I mould myself to the directors requirement.

Sri: you are giving a general statement. I asked about the specific directors you worked with.
Chakri:
do you like carrots ?

Sri: (laughs) yes
Chakri:
Why ?

Sri: because they are good for cleaning the teeth and good for eyes because of vitamin A
Chakri:
the same way Raghavendara rao gari's songs and scene picturisation. I love working with him very much . What a beautiful picturisation. You should watch him while he shoots a film . If you are 40 year old he tells you in a 40-year-old behavior and if you are 20 year old he tells you in 20 year old manner (ayana patraloki parakaya pravesham chestaru). And vamsi taking, SVK Reddy's narration, it will be straight, no confusing, you don't feel like you are on the sets while working with them. It is really great.

Sri: I didn't like recent SVK's movies as I feel some of them are recycled .
Chakri
:You should watch Premaku Velayara. It is good and I would like you to watch that and then tell me your frank opinion.

Sri: I heard that you all went to Vijayayatralu for that movie?
Chakri:
No, I stopped them as I feel they are visuguyatralu

Sri: Who gave you the first break as a hero ?
Chakri:
Tammareddygaru with the movie One by Two

Sri: I thought you are supposed to do the role of jagapathibabu in anthahpuram?
Chakri:
I want to do all the movies in telugu. But it is not possible. But jagapahibabu also did a good job.

Sri: When is your marriage? Did you find your dream girl? Or you failed in love and is that the reason for your beard?
Chakri:
(laughs) at present I am busy with lot of things. (Seriously) I give lot of respect to woman. I feel they are equal to us(men) . I almost work for 18 hours a day. I don't like her to wait for me at home all the time and when I come home she has to be ready for serving me , I don't like that . Now I am busy with production, direction,writing and acting not in that order but.. of late I am writing too. I cannot spare much time to my life partner and I don't want to neglect her and that is the reason I am not married yet.

Sri: I thought that love failure made you grow the beard.
Chakri:
(laughs) recently a producer approched me and asked me to take the beard for his movie. I said for showing half of my face I am charging this much. If u want me to show full you have to pay me double, I am just kidding (laughs), there is nothing that sorts. I love sridevi , now she is married to boney kapoor there is no chance for me (laughs)

Sri: But I thought you are in love with Maheshwari? There are lot of rumors about this in the past.
Chakri
: (laughs ) actually I was close with her because I thought she will recommend Me to sridevi, but it didn't work out. (laughs) nothing that sort of affair. We are all friends. I love all my heroines. As a matter of fact I love all girls. But they don't believe me. I say this to every girl I meet, but they don't believe me (laugh continuos)

Sri: what happened to your Hollywood movie?
Chakri:
It's name is Inscrutable Americans. It is in collabaration with one of the studio's. I will give details about it soon. Actually I came for the work permits for the entire unit. Now I got them, so we will soon start the shooting.

Sri: Why are you doing an English movie
Chakri
: what is your opinion on this and why you are asking this?

Sri: Hmm?.(I was hesitant)
Chakri:
you can tell me anything

Sri: there is a rumor that as you don't have movies in Telugu you came here for English movies
Chakri
: (laughs) you mean to say that if I can't survive in tollywood then I can do it in hollywood. There are many people who are willing to do a small role in tollywood for nothing. They are making a film with me as a hero, which is no joke.

Sri: Why did you join in a Drama School in USA. You are already an actor.
Chakri:
when you completed your B.A or BE, why do you want to study M.A or M.E. because you want to study more. This is also like that I want to learn more and that is the reason I joined here and it helped me a lot.

Sri: What are your experiences in drama school?
Chakri:
there the first thing they told me is 'ACTING IS NOT TO ACT, IT IS TO BEHAVE'. They first asked me to do gardening and then asked me to drink water. After I did that I asked them to show acting, they said you already did it. They explained if you need water and imagine you are in a place where you don't know their language how will you ask. I said I will show my thumb near to my mouth. Which is a universal language. Like that you need to do gardening, just behave like that no need to say it in a loud clear way. This is only initial lesson. The good books on acting are technique of acting by Stella alder and manwatching by another author (he mentioned it, but I forgot as I am just listening and doesn't have time to write it down) helped me a lot .

Sri: What made you to become producer
Chakri:
straight answer. To earn more money. Before producing the movie I used to say, director is the captain of the ship, now I say producer is the owner of the ship (laughs)

Sri: I thought something else
Chakri
: what did you think? No movies in the hand and that is the reason I am making movies myself (laughs). It is not true. I earned some money on movies and I want to earn more money so with my money earned on acting I invested on making the movies, which was backfired. But I will try again.

Sri: Are you saying about pape na pranam?
Chakri:
yes. That is the stupidest title and I didn't like the title.

Sri: Then how come you gave a lakh for that title.
Chakri:
actually I thought that nameless movie will arouse the curiosity in the audience and they will come to the theatres and it worked, until we kept the title. The co-producer wants to release in B and C centers and he felt that audience won't accept the movie without a title and opted for this title. Movie name should have some meaning.

Sri: I feel it is a copy of nick of time
Chakri:
Yes it is inspired by that movie but not a copy.

Sri: You worked with five new directors. Don't you feel you are risking your career with the new directors and sometimes producing for them? Are you going in Ramu's and Nagarjuna's way.
Chakri
: No I am not going like that. I feel comfortable working with them. I don't feel risky. Once they tell me the story, if I feel it is worth, then I readily do it.

Sri: You started with much fanfare mahatma gandhi autobiography and naandi? What happened to them? Will they be completed in near future?
Chakri:
That question you should ask the producer. I am ready to do the film.(a small pause) actually the rushes came very good. The film is backed by two big producers. And suddenly they became busy with other projects and these projects were delayed. But ramu garu is showing his rush on who ever comes and recommend to give a break. I will definitely complete the film one-day. I don't know how or when .

Sri: I know you have a lot of respect to your co-stars. How do feel about the exposing of the heroine in the films ?
Chakri :
In the films I produce I don't encourage this. I feel if they want to see the heroine body they can watch some magazines or books, which carry this sought of things, why on screen. I feel it is story and acting which is important to bring the audience to the Theatre. Not the vulgar dresses. About other producer's movies, I just do my part and I don't go into other details.

Sri: How is your bollywood experience?
Chakri:
Are you talking about my staying in Bollywood?

Sri: Yes
Chakri:
It is same to me as I worked with the same team earlier. I saw no difference, same gallies (tittlu), same faces, except one or two. I did a lot of work on it. I was assistant to ramugaru and also helped him in editing and music.

Sri: I liked the rain song music.
Chakri
:Thanks. I really worked hard on the movie. Sometimes I feel how Ramugaru gave so much responsibility to me. He is has lot of confidence on me. And I am grateful to him for that.

Sri: Any new movies in bollywood.
Chakri:
At present I am busy with hollywood and tollywood.

Sri: How about a multi-hero film?
Chakri:
I did some with srikanth.

Sri: Why not others?
Chakri:
I have no problem if the story demands. With srikanth he is very close friend, with others also I don't have a problem, if a good producer offer equal roles I am ready to do.

Sri: Why are you not working in sairam arts anymore?
Chakri
: I like Chiranjivigaru very much. I was jumping with joy when I was offered the role . But there were date problem. I feel very bad about that. I really miss working with him. I may do it in furture.

Sri: Why do you imitate some actors
Chakri:
hey ask a straight question

Sri: OK. Kamal
Chakri:
Oh! He is a great actor. How do you feel.

Sri: I feel he over acts sometimes like in Nayakan when his wife-died etc is repetitive and some times too melodramatic.
Chakri:
What about the one in Akalirajayam or Idi katha kadu

Sri: In those movies he was superb. I am talking about now.
Chakri:
That is because they are very natural and in telugu movies we have less people who acts like in real life. As Kamalgaru is senoir to me you are saying I am imitating him, if he would have been junior you might have said he is imitating me. Yes he is very good and but I don't imitate him. We are trying parallel cinema acting in commercial movies.

Sri: Who are your favorite actors and actress:
Chakri:
Chiranjeevi, SVR, Jayasudha and Sridevi - Telugu Kamalhasan, Sridevi - Tamil (how come she is again here) Amitabachan and Sridevi (wow she is coming here again)

Sri: favourite writers
Chakri
: which ones Telugu or English

Sri: Telugu
Chakri:
Vishwanatha satyanarayana's Veye padagalu did u read it.

Sri: it is good but it is in little grandikam
Chakri: (laughs) I read one padaga and has to read the remaining ones (laughs) I read it , it is good, then I like Mullapudi ranganayakamma and Yandamuri

Sri: Ranganayakamma her earlier ones I liked, Balipeetam or Chaduvukunna kamala etc. ok now in English?
Chakri:
Ayanrand - Fountain head ( I might have read so manytimes, I lost the count, and it is very inspirational. Did you read it?

Sri: yeah I like Atlas shrugged also. She is very good.
Chakri:
did You read Nishi?

Sri: Who is it I don't know. What he/she writes about.
Chakri:
it is on philosophy

Sri: I read some on Jiddu krishna murthy garu and Ramana maharshi garu. But not the one you are mentioning.
Chakri:
ok

Sri: what is your message to readers of Telugucinema.com
Chakri:
I am not that big to give messages. But I will ask them to see my movies again and again like pape na pranam.

Sri: oh! It is already gone. Why don't you make another film nameless movie part-2
Chakri:
(laughs) no I am asking them to see the same one so that I get some more money.(laughs) and now the message I want to give is to the parents. I am requesting them to encourage their Kids interested in acting, please doesn't discourage them. This is also a profession like any other. They need not be a doctor or engineer, they can be an actor.

Sri: ok sir, hope you have a good trip back to India and I wish to see you again. Thank you very much for the co-operation. I did not think you would be so friendly
Chakri:
talking to you is my pleasure. I really enjoyed talking to you . You have a good day.

It was more than an hour and I have my friends waiting for me and he has a schedule to catch up so we said good-bye.

No comments: